Saturday, October 8, 2011

Rambling Sentences

Rambling or run-on sentences are sentences that contain several clauses connected by coordinating conjunctions such as: and, or, but, yet, for, nor, and so.

A rambling sentence may appear to follow the technical rules of grammar in places, but the sentence as a whole is wrong because it rambles.

I was happy to walk down the aisle as a bridesmaid in my sister’s wedding, but I was very embarrassed when I stumbled in the middle of the ceremony, for when I recovered, I looked up and saw my sister and I thought she was going to faint, because I could see her standing in the doorway waiting to begin her own walk down the aisle, and her face was all white, she looked like she was going to throw up.

Much of this looks correct, because the various clauses are connected correctly (except one comma splice). Don’t hesitate to break up sentences that ramble:

I was happy to walk down the aisle as a bridesmaid in my sister’s wedding. However, I was very embarrassed when I stumbled in the middle of the ceremony--especially when I recovered. I looked up and saw my sister and I thought she was going to faint. I could see her standing in the doorway, waiting to begin her own walk down the aisle. Her face was all white and she looked like she was going to throw up!


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment